It’s that time of the year again – Valentine’s Day is upon us. The very day that throws men into a panic, women into a frenzy and single gals into depression. Yet, the question remains, is Valentine’s Day really that big of a deal?
Well, it kind of depends on your relationship with either yourself and/or your boyfriend/girlfriend. After all, it’s a commercial holiday and not much else. Let’s just say, it’s a bit ridiculous that flower prices hit an all-time high come the 14th and most decent restaurants are booked out. To me it sounds like it’s more trouble than it’s worth, but if you’re still looking to either spoil yourself or your significant other on Valentine’s Day then here are some ideas that won’t require you to cut tiny little hearts out of red paper or spend your week’s wages on a bunch of flowers and a cheesy teddy bear no one wants.
- Valentine’s Day conveniently falls onto a Sunday this year, so why not do something a bit different? Stay away from the usual food hangouts and head out for a picnic – indoor picnics can be just as romantic if the weather doesn’t hold up, but you might need your tinsy tiny heart cutouts.
- If you’re single, head out on Saturday night and spend Sunday in bed curing your hangover – you won’t even notice what day it is.
- Want to celebrate properly but can’t be bothered with the crowds and surcharge? Just move Valentine’s Day by a week. Who cares? It’s not Christmas, Easter or a birthday so you can technically do whatever you want.
- Just ignore it. After all, it should be Valentine’s Day every day of the year! Nawwww! (Just make sure you and the boyfriend/girlfriend are on the same page with this one, or else it’s a recipe for disaster, if you know what I mean.)
- Champagne – need I to say more?
- Ok, so this one is for those a bit more serious about their relationship: But hey, why not propose!? That way you will never forget the day again and no one will expect you to top ‘last year’s Valentine’s Day’. You might want to think this through properly though.
- Still single? Get your friends together and watch nothing but horror movies and totally unromantic comedies all day. Also, add #5!
- There’s always candlelight dinner at home, followed by Netflix, of course.
- Treat yourself! Buy yourself the present you’d want your (non-existent) significant other to get you!
- Don’t take it too seriously, Valentine’s Day doesn’t define your relationship or your status in the world – Instagram does! (I’m kidding!)
What are you up to on Valentine’s Day? As always, feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below!